- This event has passed.
Trauma Focused – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) 2-Day Training
October 17, 2019 @ 9:00 am - October 18, 2019 @ 5:15 pm$400.00
This training includes 12 consultation calls
Date: 10/17 and 10/18, 2019
Time: 9:00 – 5:15 each day
Cost: (as of 1/1/18)
Open training is $400 per person (includes 2-day training and 12 consultation calls)
Hilton Garden Inn Rockville Gaithersburg
14975 Shady Grove Road
Rockville, MD 20850
- Check in at 8:45 on the first date of training
- Breakfast is on your own
- There will be a 1-hour lunch break (approximately) and attendees will be on their own for lunch
- Registration closes 24 hours before the start of the training
- Full refunds for cancellation are awarded up to 7 days before the start of the training
Must complete the TF-CBT web-based learning course prior to this 2-day training.
- TF-CBTweb can be found at https://tfcbt2.musc.edu/
- This web-based training provides 11 CEs and costs $35
- You will be asked to present your completion certificate when you check in to the 2-day training
- The completion certificate does not expire. If you completed the course XX years ago, just print out a copy of your certificate and present it to the trainer.
Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is a heavily researched, evidence-based form of therapy designed to treat children who have experienced a traumatic event and struggle with subsequent emotional and/or behavioral problems. The model treats children with an array of trauma histories, including children with multiple and complex traumas in their lives. To learn more about TF-CBT, please visit: https://tfcbt.org/
This course is designed for mental health professionals who work with children who have experienced trauma. It is an intermediate level course.
9:00 Introduction to trauma
10:00 Introduction to PTSD
10:40 Overview of TF-CBT
11:30 Ethics related to trauma work with children
12:00 Lunch break (1 hour)
For each of the following modules, participants learn about background, structure, and suggestions for practice. Resources are also recommended. For each module, cultural adaptations and ethical considerations are discussed.
12:55 Psychoeducation module
1:30 Parenting module
3:30 Relaxation module
4:15 Affect module
5:00 Review and questions
9:00 Cognitive Processing module
10:40 Trauma Narrative module
12:55 Trauma Narrative module for parents
2:40 Conjoint Sessions module
3:15 In vivo Exposure module
3:45 Enhancing Safety module
4:30 Secondary Traumatic Stress
4:45 Review of modules and questions
5:00 Overview of Consult Calls and Certification
Trainer: Alicia Meyer, Ph.D.
Dr. Meyer is a nationally certified TF-CBT trainer. She is the Executive Director of a non-profit agency devoted to the assessment and treatment of traumatized children. She is also the former Director of Mental Health at multiple Child Advocacy Centers (CAC) and an expert in trauma informed care for children. She often teaches these principles to community providers, the courts, child protection agencies, and States Attorneys. Her particular areas of expertise include child maltreatment and healthy parenting practices, and she conducts forensic assessments related to these issues. She is also often called upon to provide expert witness testimony to the courts.
Please contact Dr. Meyer at Alicia@AliciasPlace.org or 301-351-7257 for questions about the course or to make ADA accommodation requests.
|a. Explain how trauma impacts child development|
|b. Summarize the research evidence supporting the use of TF-CBT|
|c. Identify and describe the rationale for each component of the TF-CBT model|
|d. Describe 2-3 strategies to accomplish the goals of each of the model’s components|
- Psychologists: 14 CEs are approved by the American Psychological Association (APA)
- Social Workers: We have applied for consideration of 14 credits for this course through ASWB ACE.
- A completion certificate is handed to the trainee at the conclusion of the 2-day training. In order to receive this completion certificate:
- Participants must fully attend both days and complete a course evaluation
Listed here are the criteria to become a certified TF-CBT therapist: https://tfcbt.org/tf-cbt-certification-criteria/. This 2-day training and subsequent consultation calls meet some of the certification requirements, but please note other steps are necessary before receiving TF-CBT certification. Although encouraged and generally beneficial to therapists and their organizations, certification is optional.
At the end of the 2-day training, participants will be asked to sign up for a consultation call group. Generally, therapists participate in one consultation call per month for a period of 12 months. Occasionally, groups can request two consultation calls per month for 6 months. The consultation calls occur on Mondays and Tuesdays between the hours of 10:00 and 2:00 Eastern Standard Time.