- This event has passed.
TF-CBT 2-Day Training & 12 Consultation Calls
January 10 @ 9:00 am - January 11 @ 5:00 pm$400.00
TF-CBT 2 Day Training – Chesapeake, VA
Date: 1/10 and 1/11 2019
Time: 9:00 – 5:00 each day
Cost: Open training is $400 per person (includes 2-day training and 12 consultation calls)
500 Mill Stone Rd
Chesapeake, VA 23322
* Conference room is on the second floor and is not handicap accessible
- Check in at 8:45 on the first day of training
- Breakfast is on your own; coffee and tea will be provided
- There will be a 1-hour lunch break and attendees will be on their own for lunch. There is a small refrigerator for anyone who wishes to bring their own lunch.
- At the end of the 2-day training you will be provided with a completion certificate denoting 14 hours of face-to-face TF-CBT training
Must complete the TF-CBT web-based learning course prior to this 2-day training.
- TF-CBTweb can be found at https://tfcbt2.musc.edu/
- This web-based training provides 11 CEUs and costs $35
- You will be asked to present your completion certificate when you check in to the 2-day training
- The completion certificate does not expire. If you completed the course XX years ago, just print out a copy of your certificate and present it to the trainer.
At the end of the 2-day training, participants will be asked to sign up for a consultation call group. Generally, therapists participate in one 1-hour consultation call per month for a period of 12 months. Occasionally, groups can request two consultation calls per month for 6 months. Often times calls are set during the lunch hour (12:00-1:00), although there is flexibility in this schedule.
Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is a heavily researched, evidence-based form of therapy designed to treat children who have experienced a traumatic event and struggle with subsequent emotional and/or behavioral problems. The model treats children with an array of trauma histories, including children with multiple and complex traumas in their lives. To learn more about TF-CBT, please visit: https://tfcbt.org/
Trainer: Alicia Meyer, Ph.D.
Dr. Meyer is a nationally certified TF-CBT trainer. She is the Executive Director of a non-profit organization designed for the assessment and treatment of children and families who have experienced trauma. She has also held positions as the Mental Health Director at multiple Child Advocacy Centers (CAC) and is an expert in trauma informed care for children. She often teaches these principles to community providers, the courts, child protection agencies, and States Attorneys. Her particular areas of expertise include child maltreatment and healthy parenting practices, and she conducts forensic assessments related to these issues.
- Identify ways that trauma impacts child development
- Become familiar with the research evidence supporting the use of TF-CBT
- Identify and describe the rationale for each component of the TF-CBT model
- Understand 2-3 strategies to accomplish the goals of each of the model’s components
- Learn to implement TF-CBT with cultural modifications
- Learn strategies to sustain the practice of TF-CBT within your agency
Listed here are the criteria to become a certified TF-CBT therapist: https://tfcbt.org/tf-cbt-certification-criteria/. This 2-day training and subsequent consultation calls meet some of the certification requirements, but please note other steps are necessary before receiving TF-CBT certification. Although encouraged and generally beneficial to therapists and their organizations, certification is optional.
(closest is about 20 minutes North of conference site):
Hampton Inn and Suites – Chesapeake
Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbriar
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chesapeake/Greenbriar