We have established the following criteria for TF-CBT certification. All eight steps must be met to achieve certification.
- Master’s degree or above in a mental health discipline;
- Permanent professional license in home state, including having passed the state licensing exam in your mental health discipline;
- Completion of TF-CBTWeb;
- Participation in a live TF-CBT training (two days) conducted by a treatment developer or an approved national trainer (graduate of our TF-CBT Train-the-Trainer Program); or
Live training in the context of an approved national, regional, or state TF-CBT Learning Collaborative of at least six months duration in which one of the treatment developers or a graduate of our TF-CBT Train-the-Trainer (TTT) Program has been a lead faculty member;
- Participation in follow-up consultation or supervision on a twice a month basis for at least six months or a once a month basis for at least twelve months. The candidate must participate in at least nine out of the twelve consultation or supervisory sessions. This consultation must be provided by one of the treatment developers or a graduate from our TTT program. Supervision may be provided by one of the treatment developers, a graduate of our TTT program, or a graduate of our TF-CBT Train-the-Supervisor (TTS) Program (In the latter instance, the supervisor must be employed at the same organization as the certification candidate);
Active participation in at least 3/4 of the required cluster/consultation calls in the context of an approved TF-CBT Learning Collaborative;
- Completion of three separate TF-CBT treatment cases with three children or adolescents with at least two of the cases including the active participation of caretakers or another designated third party (e.g., direct care staff member in a residential treatment facility)
- Use of at least one standardized instrument to assess TF-CBT treatment progress with each of the above cases;
- Taking and passing TF-CBT Therapist Certification Program Knowledge-Based Test.
Documentation for Steps 3, 4, and 5
- Completion of TF-CBTWeb (step 3 above) must be documented by attaching a copy of the completion certificate provided by the Medical University of South Carolina.
- For step 4, candidates must identify the date(s) of the TF-CBT training or Learning Collaborative and the names of the trainers or lead faculty that will be verified by the Certification Program. (If an attendance certificate is available, we request that a copy be sent along with the application.)
- For step 5, candidates must identify the TF-CBT consultant/supervisor or Learning Collaborative faculty member that will be verified by the Certification Program.
- Please email the TF-CBT Manager to verify that your trainer, consultant, and/or supervisor is approved, if you have any doubts about this.
- The application fee is not refundable.
Documentation for Step 6
Candidates will provide an attestation statement verifying that they have completed TF-CBT treatment with at least three children and at least two parents/caretakers or other designated third party.
Documentation for Step 7
Candidates will provide an attestation statement verifying that they have used at least one standardized instrument to assess TF-CBT treatment progress.
The application process has two steps. Candidates will complete Part I of the application and submit it to the Certification Program. The fee for Part I is $125.00. This application fee is not refundable. Please email the TF-CBT Manager if you have questions about whether your trainer, consultant, and/or supervisor is approved or any other question. Candidates who have met all of the first seven criteria will then be eligible to take the TF-CBT Certification Test. This is Part II of the application process. The fee for Part II is $125.00.
TF-CBT Therapist Certification Program Knowledge-Based Test
Candidates will be eligible to take the TF-CBT Certification Program Knowledge-Based Test once they have provided documentation that they have met the first seven eligibility criteria. A score of 80% or higher will be required to pass the test.